Khalifa Umar bin al-Khattab - Testament Of Umar
Khalifa Umar bin al-Khattab - Testament Of UmarOn his death bed Umar was requested to make a testament for the guidance of his successor. Umar addressed the following testament to his successor:
"I enjoin upon you to have trust and faith in God, He Who has no peer.
Be kind and generous to the Muhajreen and the Ansar. Those out of them who are good, be good to them; those who are bad overlook their lapses.
Be good to the people of the conquered lands. They are the outer line of our defence; they are the target of the anger and distress of our enemies. They contribute to our revenues. They should be taxed only on their surplus wealth.
Be gracious to the Bedouins as they are the backbone of the Arab nation.
I instruct you to be good to the Dhimmis for they are your responsibility. Do not tax them beyond their capacity. Ensure that they pay the Jizya without undue inconvenience.
Fear God, and in all that you do keep His pleasure in view. In the matter of people fear God, and in the matter of Allah do not be afraid of the people.
With regard to the people, I enjoin upon you to administer justice with an even hand. See that all the legitimate requirements of the people are met. Be concerned for their welfare. Ensure the safety of their person and property.
See that the frontiers of our domains are not violated. Take strong steps to guard the frontiers.
In the matter of administration do not prefer the rich to the poor. Be hard against those who violate the law. Show them no mercy. Do not rest content until you have brought the miscreants to book.
Treat all the people as equal. Be a pillar of strength for those who are weak and oppressed. Those who are strong but do wrong, make them pay for their wrong-doings.
In the distribution of booty and other matters be above nepotism. Let no consideration of relationship or selfish interest weigh with you.
The Satan is at large; it may tempt you. Rise above all temptations and perform your duties in accordance with the injunctions of Islam.
Get guidance from the Holy Quran and Sunnah. Freely consult the wise men around you. Apply your own mind in difficult cases, and seek light from God.
Be simple in your living and your habits. Let there be no show or ostentation about you. Lead life as a model Muslim. As you are the leader of the Muslims, justify your leadership by being the best among them all. May God bless you."
His son Abdullah also desired some words of parting advice. Umar asked him to hold fast to the fundamentals of faith. Abdullah asked what these fundamentals were.
Umar said that these were:
(1) Keep fast in the intense heat of the summer when the Ramazan falls in such a season.
(2) Kill the enemies of Islam with sword.
(3) In the event of any calamity or distress exercise patience.
(4) In the cold of the winter perform your ablutions in full.
(5) On a cloudy day hurry up in offering prayers.
(6) Abstain from the mud of destruction.
Abdullah enquired what was the mud of destruction, and Umar said it was wine-bibbling.
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Conversion to Islam
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Reaction to the conversion of Uthman
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Triumph of Uthman
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Marriage with Ruqayya
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Migration to Abyssinia
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Return to Makkah
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Ruqayya and Hafsa
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Umm Kulthum and Other Marriages of Uthman
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Migration to Madina and The world of Madina
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Generosity of Uthman
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Death of Ruqayya
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - The battle of Uhud
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Post-Uhud period
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Performance of the pilgrimage
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Khirash b Umayyah
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Baiy'at-ur-Ridwanl
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - The treaty of Hudaibiyah
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Extension of the Prophet's mosque
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Battle of Khyber
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Makkah revisited
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - End of the Hudaibiyah Pact
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Conquest of Makkah
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Battle of Autas
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Siege of Taif
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Back to Madina
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Expedition to Tabuk
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Proclamation about the banning of polytheism
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - The Farewell Pilgrimage
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - Passing Away of the Holy Prophet
- Khalifa Uthman bin Affan - The Caliphate of Umar
- Aisha Stacey
- Abraham invites his father Azar (Terah or Terakh in the Bible) and nation to the Truth revealed to him from his Lord.
- An introduction to the person of Abraham and the lofty position he holds in Judaism
- and Islam alike.
- Abraham destroys the idols of his people in order to prove to them the futility of their worship.
- Abraham’s dispute with a king
- and the command of God to migrate to Canaan.
- Some accounts of Abraham’s journey to Egypt
- the birth of Ishmael